Appearances may be deceiving, but I’m starting to believe that I’m becoming just a little bit Spanish day by day. The evidence:
1. These days my normal bedtime is around 2:30 am, and I wake up at 10:00 am. Dinnertime is 9:30 pm or later.
2. I’m peppering my sentences with words (and sounds) like vale and joder and buuuffff and oyyy.
3. I now prefer cafe cortado and cafe con leche to the large (watered-down) coffees in the states. Also, I have a special affinity for pimientos de Padrón and pan con tomate.
4. My students have discovered that I understand more Spanish than I’ve let on, and they’re talking to me (in Spanish) outside of class. (Though Antoni is quick to note that he will still consider me a guiri until I’ve lived here for a year.)
And the biggest indication of all …
5. I had a dream in Spanish last night! Holy. hell. That has never happened before.
Are you living abroad? When did you know you’d become part of your community and no longer an outsider?