I’m back in Portland after a crazy memorable 9-day trip to Peru. I’ll post some pics and thoughts on the trip soon, but in the meantime, I’m stealing this post idea from Shut Up + Run and sharing my answers to 10 running questions:
1. Best run ever: Think it has to be the Helvetia Half Marathon on June 9 of this year. It was the only half marathon I’ve done in the last five years, and I really committed myself to training. I was super pumped with the outcome, and loved every mile of the race. (It helped that it was perfect weather, too.)
2. Three words that describe your running: Goal-oriented, inconsistent, moody.
3. Your go-to running outfit: Nike shorts, Pro Compression socks and a neon tank top.
4. Quirky habit while running: Audible breathing that likely drives runners around me crazy.
5. Morning, midday, evening: Morning to midday runner on the weekends, evening runner on weekdays. (I’d really like to be a consistent morning runner, though. I just love the snooze button too much.)
6. I won’t run outside when it’s: Dark. (Unless I’m doing an overnight relay.) I like to play it safe and run during daylight (or head to the gym and use a treadmill, if it’s after dark).
7. Worst injury & how you got over it: IT band syndrome, and I could have gotten over it much faster if I’d understood what it was at the time. Instead, I took a ton of time off running and switched up my workouts. Now, when I get IT band tightness, I know not to freak out and to instead spend a lot of time with ice, my foam roller and yoga mat.
8. I feel most like a badass mother runner when: I upload a run to Garmin Connect and see splits that surprise me. Also, when I set my eyes on a runner up ahead and pass them in a race.
9. Next race is: Aw, shit, I don’t know. I’d meant to do the Portland Marathon, then scrapped that idea when I decided on the über awesome plan of relocating to Barcelona (in LESS THAN 10 DAYS). Once I get settled in, I’m going to try to find a race in Europe. Maybe another half marathon? With the teaching program I’ll be doing, I don’t know that I’ll have a lot of time to train for anything longer, at least not at first.
10. Potential running goal for 2013: I’d like to run a race (any distance) at a sub-8:00 mile pace. I think it’s doable for a 5K, but wonder if I can make it happen for an 8K or 10K.
Plus 3 bonus questions:
1. Favorite pre-run snack: Banana and a big scoop of peanut butter
2. Favorite post-race meal: Guacomole and beer (or a chocolate milkshake!)
3. Favorite running soundtrack for long runs: Podcasts or books
Your turn: Pick some (or all) of these and answer them about your own sport or workout of choice.